- Shortcakes: Preheat oven to 400°F. Stir together flour, grits, sugar, baking powder and salt; using a pastry blender, two knives or fingertips, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk together one egg, milk and vanilla; stir into flour mixture (do not overwork the dough). On lightly floured surface, pat dough into 1/2-inch thick rectangle. Using 3-inch round cutter, cut out 6 rounds. Reroll remaining dough to make 2 more rounds. Place rounds 2 inches apart on parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
- Whisk remaining egg with 1 tbsp water; brush over tops of pastry rounds. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until golden; let cool completely.
- Berry Compote: Place half of the berries and sugar in heavy-bottom saucepan set over medium-high heat; bring to boil, stirring often. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves completely.
- Whisk green tea with cornstarch until smooth; stir into berry mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in remaining berries; let cool completely.
- Assembly: Whip cream with 2 tbsp icing sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Cut each shortcake in half horizontally. For each serving, place bottom half of shortcake on serving dish. Spoon some of the Berry Compote on top; add a dollop of whipped cream. Cap with top half of shortcake. Dust with remaining icing sugar. Serve immediately.
If desired, add a little lemon, lime or orange zest to the compote.